Tuesday, March 11, 2008

March 11th Afternoon


We are having a good day. They put Reese on a different ventilator that a part of it sits on her chest and vibrates little vibrations (around 500 per minute) to shake things up in her lung. They say they are seeing good results already from this. They also did the HTP procedure again today and drained out a lot more junk. She had to have a suppository which will be a good thing later today. They are going to give her another transfusion but this is to be expected. The doctor told me this afternoon to expect to be here in ICU for a week and they don't know how long we will be in acute care but I am hoping just a week there too. It is hard to be up here in the ICU and see other parents dealing with their heartaches. I have so much peace and know I eventually get to take my baby home. I said to the nurse yesterday, "Man some of these parents look hammered." She said well some of them are and I said oh I didn't mean drunk and she said well some of them are we get that alot. So my heart goes out to them because they do look pretty rough. Just so you know we are still smiling and laughing around here, come on I am married to Eric, but yesterday when I woke up I met my nurse and she is giving me some info and I am still a little blurry eyed. I am looking at her and listening and I notice she has on green eye shadow and then I notice a charm necklace with a little green charm and then I notice she has on a green shirt under her scrubs. I interrupt her and asked if it was St. Patricks Day and she just says No. I was dying because I am sure she was thinking you think I look like a leprechaun and I just oh I don't even know what day it is. Isn't that so Penny to just say or ask what she is thinking. So anywho today she didn't wear her green eyeshadow which is too bad because I sort of liked it. But I can't wait to see her on St.Patty's Day. But hey she is more than great I feel like she is one of my best friends now. This silly lady in here today she was a respiratory therapist and says now are you going to be taking her to Seattle? I sort of looked at her like what the heck are you talking about? She says you know they do really good transplants there and I just said oh. But I thinking what what what? No one has told me my baby has to have a lung transplant. So I go out to my nurse buddy and said now I got a question? Well Reese DOES NOT need a lung transplant. This lady had us confused with a different patient. Nice Eh. So the nurse and I sort of chuckled at that one even though it isn't the least bit funny but I didn't know what else I could do. Waklee is doing great! She has her dear Grandma Lana taking such wonderful care of her. She already got her new Easter shoes, planted some Easter grass and if anyone knows Grandma Lana they know they are having a really great time! We are so thankful she was able to come. Eric and I were talking today about all that and here is the story. When in the ER at the beginning and they told me what we were in for and I was just thinking what are we going to do with Waklee. She had already missed two days of school last week because Reese was sick and I was out of town. My Mom's Dad passed away last week and so my Mom was still having to go to Colorado to bury my Grandpa and has a lot of things in Texas she needs to attend to. I knew she would come as soon as possible but I also knew it would be hard for her. So in the ER I told Eric I need your Mom to come. Eric called his parents around 2 am and they were able to fly into Portland 6 hours later. I still shake my head in amazement. I guess they checked flights and it was going to route them through California and Michelle caught wind of this and called Rebecca and so Kirk and Becky called Grandma and Grandpa and said Kirk would fly them out here and so they came. I am so appreciative of that. Thankyou Kirk and Becky! It took off a big load of stress knowing that Waklee was going to be in Grandma Heaven and that we could focus on our baby and plus it was so nice to have Neil here for the short time that he was. I will tell you what we have a great family. So many of our family and friends from Idaho have offered to drop everything and just come. We have had so many people here in Portland offering to help and I am going to take you up on that as soon as we get home. Right now everything is taken care of though. Poor Eric has his National Boards this Friday, Saturday, Sunday and then 13 finals that start the next day. Good thing that guy doesn't get too stressed about life. No he does get stressed but has an amazing way of dealing with it. So pray for him too he will need it. Thanks for your comments it is nice to know we have so much support.

6 comments:

Caren said...

We are so glad to hear our little Reese is improving. You remain in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers constantly. Please let us know what we can do to help. Thank you for the updates!

We Love You!
Rick and Caren

Toshia said...

I am so glad to hear that things are improving. Reese and your whole family have been in my thoughts and prayers all day.

julie! said...

I keep checking your blog for updates and am so relieved to hear Reese is doing so well. She is a determined little girl (i think she gets that from her mommy). Can't wait to have her home.

with love, hugs, slugs and bugs
the riley clan

Jeff and Amy said...

We are soooo glad to hear that she is doing better. I'm glad that you are doing better too. Thank goodness for family, eh. Our prayers are still with you!!

Kami Herring said...

I know you are so busy with everything but thanks for blogging everything. The first thing I do in the morning is check your blog. It has elliminated Taun and I from IM'ing all day seeing if either of us has updates. It was driving me crazy checking gmail every 10 minutes to see if you are online to see how it's going and you not being there. I'm so glad to hear some improvement in the air. We love you and I want you to know that my kids don't miss a prayer without asking baby Reese to get better and go home. We love you!
Your Sis! (what a way to come home from a funeral ey?)

Jason Young said...

Our hearts and prayers go out to you guys! What a difficult thing to go through as a parent. I'm so thankful for modern technology that is allowing Miss Reese to be comfortable. Keep your heads up! Eric, good luck with boards and finals. Here's some tips from Jason: Don't over think anything. Follow your gut. They will take it easy on you during finals, especially your labs. They understand that you just had boards and you head is a jug of goo.

The Young's!