Well things are progressing. To actually look at Reese you can't tell but things like she is off her BP Meds, her blood shows perfect oxygen levels, the x-ray showed improvement and they are suctioning the nasty out now and then. Yesterday one of the doctors said we could be in ICU for up to two weeks and then in acute care for another two weeks. But we are being optimistic and hoping to cut that in almost half. She is quite puffy but they are giving her something to help with this. They gave her a 3rd blood transfusion and increased her level of sedation. She has been waking a little. When I say wake that means she will turn her head side to side, move her legs a little and sort of thrash around. It isn't a pretty site but today I thought you know it is sort of nice to see her doing something on her own. Today a doctor came in and said positively, "we have seen improvement on her x-ray and she is progressing faster then we thought she would." I told him we have a lot of people praying for us. He said well it is nothing that I have done. It is so interesting to see the reactions of doctors when we make these types of comments. Pretty much they don't have a reaction and well it just makes you wonder where and if they have faith in anything other than the medicine. Don't get me wrong every night one of my top three things I am thankful for is Modern Medicine. So many people have expressed so much love and concern and are offering prayers. Today we had a friend call that Eric and I knew back at our days in Ricks. So thanks Jen it's been what 10 years? Way too long. Many of our family members have been fasting and my sister in law pointed out that as she watched her little girls fasting for baby Reese she thought how can Heavenly Father deny that? Our sweet Blake is maybe 9 or 10 chose to fast and he got sick from not eating. All of your prayers and fasts mean so much to us and have given us so much peace. Today Eric and I were in our room laughing so hard that a nurse quickly came out of her office and did a walk by because I think she thought we were in here wailing. I felt sort of bad but we really are doing good. We do have our moments. For me it is the oddest thing...each time I eat I get really emotional and just start to cry. Maybe that is a sign I shouldn't eat. On a much more personal note, which is hard for me to do, but I really do want to share is when we were first admitted to the ER I had this overwhelming NEED that I wanted Reese to have a priesthood blessing. Johnny came down to the hospital and Eric and Johnny offered her a blessing. Up to this point I was scared to death and for good reason. As Eric began to give Reese the blessing I it almost felt like a feather went from the right side of my chest to the left and it brushed a distinct strong feeling of peace there. I remember right then telling myself okay Pen whatever happens I have to remember this very moment and with this moment I can accept what was to come no matter how hard. I am so thankful for the power of the priesthood and that I have a husband who lives a worthy life to be able to offer those blessing whenever he needs to. I am so thankful for such deep faith which I am learning runs deeper than I knew and knowing that families can be together forever because I can't imagine it any other way.
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Day 5 Thursday 13th
Well things are progressing. To actually look at Reese you can't tell but things like she is off her BP Meds, her blood shows perfect oxygen levels, the x-ray showed improvement and they are suctioning the nasty out now and then. Yesterday one of the doctors said we could be in ICU for up to two weeks and then in acute care for another two weeks. But we are being optimistic and hoping to cut that in almost half. She is quite puffy but they are giving her something to help with this. They gave her a 3rd blood transfusion and increased her level of sedation. She has been waking a little. When I say wake that means she will turn her head side to side, move her legs a little and sort of thrash around. It isn't a pretty site but today I thought you know it is sort of nice to see her doing something on her own. Today a doctor came in and said positively, "we have seen improvement on her x-ray and she is progressing faster then we thought she would." I told him we have a lot of people praying for us. He said well it is nothing that I have done. It is so interesting to see the reactions of doctors when we make these types of comments. Pretty much they don't have a reaction and well it just makes you wonder where and if they have faith in anything other than the medicine. Don't get me wrong every night one of my top three things I am thankful for is Modern Medicine. So many people have expressed so much love and concern and are offering prayers. Today we had a friend call that Eric and I knew back at our days in Ricks. So thanks Jen it's been what 10 years? Way too long. Many of our family members have been fasting and my sister in law pointed out that as she watched her little girls fasting for baby Reese she thought how can Heavenly Father deny that? Our sweet Blake is maybe 9 or 10 chose to fast and he got sick from not eating. All of your prayers and fasts mean so much to us and have given us so much peace. Today Eric and I were in our room laughing so hard that a nurse quickly came out of her office and did a walk by because I think she thought we were in here wailing. I felt sort of bad but we really are doing good. We do have our moments. For me it is the oddest thing...each time I eat I get really emotional and just start to cry. Maybe that is a sign I shouldn't eat. On a much more personal note, which is hard for me to do, but I really do want to share is when we were first admitted to the ER I had this overwhelming NEED that I wanted Reese to have a priesthood blessing. Johnny came down to the hospital and Eric and Johnny offered her a blessing. Up to this point I was scared to death and for good reason. As Eric began to give Reese the blessing I it almost felt like a feather went from the right side of my chest to the left and it brushed a distinct strong feeling of peace there. I remember right then telling myself okay Pen whatever happens I have to remember this very moment and with this moment I can accept what was to come no matter how hard. I am so thankful for the power of the priesthood and that I have a husband who lives a worthy life to be able to offer those blessing whenever he needs to. I am so thankful for such deep faith which I am learning runs deeper than I knew and knowing that families can be together forever because I can't imagine it any other way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Hey Penny, I just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you a lot and praying that little Reese will get better soon.
Penny I have to comment and let you know that you and Eric are an inspiration. We're so sorry that you are going through this, but your faith is an amazing example to the world around you. We'll continue to pray for Reese, but we're glad to hear she is making some positive progression. Give her a hug for Ashlee, we look at your blog everyday and can't wait for her to be out of ICU!
So good to hear the progression each day that she goes through. I want you to know we are praying too-and it is so cute-Bekah who says like 5 word prayers most of the time and only when I ask her to pray-I have caught her a couple of times just praying on her own and saying "Thank you for making little Reese better, and keep her better forever." It brings tears to my eyes that she knows that prayers heal. She is so concerned, I showed her the pictures, and she was so upset that Reese looked so sick-but she also wanted to know how come she is getting balloons and stuffed animals if it's not her birthday! Now anytime I say anything about me going to the doctor or having the baby in the hospital she will ask if I will get to get some balloons and a cow stuffed animal to feel better. So funny how their little minds work huh?
We are so happy to hear that Reese is progressing. You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly and I admire your strength and faith. I am learning lessons from you. Thank you for the updates.
Just checking in from Utah. You are in my daily thoughts and the prayers of me and my family. Remember Nick is available if you need ANYTHING...
o and Penny, you're my hero. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Spirit. My Mission President used to say that when we experience moments like that, we are standing on sacred ground.
love you dear
julie r
We are thinking of you
Penny and Eric,
We continue to think of you and pray constantly for you and for sweet little Reese's quick recovery. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and keeping us up to date with Reeese's progress. We think of you constantly, and hold you close in our hearts. You are a true inspiration to all and to the human spirit.
Big Hugs!
Rick and Caren
Just wanted to say that we are praying for your precious little one and for the rest of you as well!! I'm so glad she is improving.
Love,
The Teegardens
ditto . . .to all of the above...except maybe that checking in from Utah thing.
Penny, you inspire me so much. Thanks for all your updates. Sophia sends Reese a kiss.
Post a Comment