
Today I would say shows little progression but no digression. She does keep waking alot and so they are going to change her sedation to a drug called chloralhydrate. They are telling me one of the reasons she keeps waking so much is at this age they really metabolize the drugs quickly and the other reason is she is my spunky Reese. They are thinking she will be under until atleast Tuesday and then we will see from there. Oh one of our doctors I just love. I think I am beginning to get a crush on him. He isn't cute he is shorter than I and much older but he just keeps bringing all this good news and is so kind. No worries though Eric I actually think Eric is getting a crush on him too. No I am so thankful for such a wonderful doctor that today I could sit and talk and laugh a little.
So on to laughter. I am not much of a laugher. I takes a lot for me to laugh out loud. So in these stressful days I have found myself laughing more than usual. For instance yesterday I feel guilty admitting it but Eric and I were watching an episode of "The Office" and as I sat there and first cringed at Michael I couldn't help but out and out laugh a good hard laugh. This is when the nurse came running down the hall to see what was wrong. Last night a snack cart came by, this hospital does fun little things a couple of nights a week and last night was snack cart and drink cart night. I was sitting in my room and I overheard my nurse jokingly say to the drink cart man, "hey I will take a red wine." She walked in the room and I jokingly said, "not right now you won't." Then silly me walks out to the drink/snack cart and sees a bin of red vine licorice not red wine. I turned to my nurse and said I thought you said red wine not red vine. She was like well actually......oh we all got a laugh. Well this same snack cart man had a lady with him and this lady had a dog. I said what's the dog for and it is a child life dog that they bring in to play with the kids. I told them that when my daughter wakes up she is going to love love that dog. Snack cart man says, "oh is she napping?" implying that they could stop back by in a few minutes to let her play with the dog. I said, "Yah for about another week, but she sure is going to like that dog when she wakes up." I was headed for dinner at this time and couldn't wipe the grin off my face because I found that really humorous. Poor guy is trying to be nice and totally puts his foot in his mouth. Later that night I was telling Taun and oh my goodness did we ever get the giggles. Laughter truly is good for the soul.
Now for a few tears. Last night a wonderful nurse asked if I would like to give Reese a bath. I instantly jumped up. As the nurse was preparing the water so we could give Reese a sponge bath I went over to her bed and it just hit me. Bath time in Reese life was the time of day I looked forward to because I could get a break from her. When she was little and couldn't climb out of the bath I used to make the girls take two baths a day, I have really clean kids. The bath and her crib were the only two places she couldn't escape and we all know how long that lasted......not very long. So as I stand and think about being able to wash my baby the tears rise and settle in my eyes and I think once again about the "little things" we all take for granted. So here's to your kids next bath, sit and play and splash and let the floor get wet until it's almost reaching the carpet in the hallway.
8 comments:
Okay, I have to clear some things up. Dr. Banks is really nice and probably really rich... but I am Tall, dark and handsome and I don't have a crush on him. It is he with the Crush.
I too love bath times because of all the laughter that rings out from the bathroom. I love watching Reese get so excited that she dunks herself Clear under the water and kicks like she is in the Olympics. However, I don't like the water all over the floor and that hopefully doesn't continue.
Thanks for these stories and thoughts. It has really helped me to appreciate my kids more and I am a lot slower to get angry with them since Reese got sick-knowing how fragile they are, makes me want to take advantage of every second with them. SO thank you and big loves to you=I love ya!
Penny,such an inspiration you are!! You should write a book!
We continue to keep sweet little Reese as well as you, Eric, and Waklee, in our heart and prayers. We also are continually thankful for the great health care providers at Emanuel hospital...especially the Dr. you have a crush and Eric have a crush on!
Big Hugs!
Rick and Caren
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and moments. It helps to remind me of the precious moments that can either frustate us or make us laugh. you are so strong.
Still praying for you. You really should write a book. Take care. I love your stories and I'm sure it's good for you to share them.
I about cried when I found out about Reese! Please know that we are praying our hearts out!!!
thank you for the reminder of loving every minute with children--even when it is one of those days. we pray for Reese everyday, and my 3 year old little boy always wants to know how she is doing.
thanks for this entry penny, you really HAVE turned into someone on Seinfeld! (the "snackcart man" hahaha) im glad you have been laughing, i love laughing. i miss talking to you (i realized how much i call you) i feel like its been forever! the pictures touched me and so did your bath story. thanks again.
xoxo Jessie
Post a Comment